Current Energy Storage MG Series
Assembled to the highest standards and shipped as a self-contained unit that can be installed outdoors or indoors.
Pre-Installed Safety Labels
Gas & Diesel Generation
Distributed Battery Storage
Communications & Control
4G LTE Cellular
Ethernet Wifi, Satellite
Generator Start and Stop
Optimal Power Forecasting
Power Reliability Alerts
Isochronous Generation Control
Climate Control and Fire Suppression
Customized Communications Drawings & 1-Lines
Microgrid Installation and O&M Guides
Factory Assembled MG Series Microgrid
Pre-Engineered Battery Size Options (30 – 1,000+ kWh)
MG Series & H Series Systems Controlled by ELM Fieldsight
Built to UL 9540 Standard (stationary)
NEMA 4 Enclosure with 1,000 Hour Salt Spray Powder Coating
Thermal Management System Optimizes Battery Performance
Safety Labels Pre-Installed
3M™ Novec™ Fire Suppression
Manages Multiple Assets Simultaneously
Communications & Control
The MG and H Series systems are controlled with ELM FieldSight’s Microgrid Controller. It uses powerful, best in class computing hardware paired with sophisticated control and communication interfaces to enable the operator to efficiently monitor and control their microgrid assets from a single portal.
Leverage “islanded” microgrids when the grid is down or not available.
Balance solar and gas generators autonomously.
Maximize Renewables, Minimize Cost
Use more on-site renewables to reduce energy cost.
The MG Series ESS is a true turnkey system and has full capabilities for both off and on-grid functionality. The system is pre-engineered and undergoes thorough testing before shipping.
In addition to full off-grid functionality, the MG Series system has the capability to perform the following functions:
▪ Demand Management
▪ TOU Shifting
▪ Demand Response
Current Energy Storage will support you through the sales, design, submittals and installation including in-person onsite commissioning. Stamped Engineering drawings are also available.
The turnkey system includes the following:
- Switchgear, Battery PCS, Battery Storage, Climate Control, and Fire Suppression.
- ELM Fieldsight control
- Additional electrical components necessary for a fully functioning Microgrid which may be adjusted slightly to customize the system as necessary.
- Pre-assembled, wired, and tested in the factory before shipping.
All systems are designed with HVAC systems to meet the warranty requirement of our batteries.
The MG Series systems are designed with fire suppression.
Yes, the MH Series systems have the capability to build systems that will perform in harsh, corrosive, hot and cold environments.
Yes, there are a variety of systems for both single-phase and 3-phase.
- Historically, Microgrid systems have been assembled and installed indoors in the field. This invites complications that don’t exist for a factory assembled system.
- The MG Series system was developed to standardize the installation in order to save contractors time and project costs.
- Permitting and maintenance is also more streamlined with a turnkey MG series ESS.
Yes, one of the greatest cost and time savers to installing and commissioning an MG Series system is that the components ship pre-wired. Installing an MG Series ESS can save weeks of field work.
MG series systems are engineered and assembled in the U.S. Local content allows for quicker turnaround for any questions, system repairs or modifications that may occur down the road.
EPC Power is the PCS used in the MG 100, MG 250, MG 500 and MG 1,000. DynaPower, manufactured in Vermont, is the PCS used in the MG 125, CE+T manufactures the 30kW PCS
The MG Series Microgrid has full Microgrid capabilities for when the grid is down including the following:
- Maintains consistent power source in “Islanded/off-grid” mode
- Manages power demand to match available power
- Solar & Generator input
- Solar & Generator automated control
The MG systems are available in a variety of sizes and will be sized to meet a buildings’ needs during grid outage.
Unlike many ESS’s, the MG Series systems can be sized to meet all the electrical loads for as little as a couple of hours or indefinitely when coupled with a solar system or a generator. There are many variables to consider when choosing the battery size including the desired number of hours of grid autonomy, solar input, generator input, the type and amount of a building’s loads, and budget.
Yes, solar can be an important input to the MG Series Microgrid. Solar can charge the battery during daylight hours as an alternative to pulling power from the grid or from a fossil fuel generator. If solar is used to charge the battery, the Solar Incentive Tax Credit (ITC) can be used to offset 30% of the total cost of a combined solar system and Microgrid. Contact your CPS for details.
Yes, ELM Fieldsight can manage single or multiple generators as needed in both on-grid and off-grid situations. In many cases, an MG Series Microgrid can save fossil fuel costs by maximizing the efficient usage of the system. The MG Series system integrates with diesel and natural gas generators, CHP systems and Hydrogen Fuel Cell systems.
Yes, the ELM Fieldsight controller commands the generator to run only when the battery needs to be charged. So rather than running day and night to meet all electrical needs large and small, the generator will run for only the time it takes to charge the battery.
Yes, all of the MG Series and H Series products have black start capability.
Transition times to form a microgrid are typically 50-100 milliseconds and may vary depending on site conditions.
- The MG Series systems use Tier 1 NMC (Nickel Manganese Cobalt) battery cells.
- Kore is the battery manufacturer for the MG 30, 125, 250, 500 & 1000. The Kore Power platform has the UL 9540a listing.
- PylonTech is the manufacturer for the H1030 and H2030. The PlyonTech batteries have a UL 9540a listing.
Degradation varies both by type of battery and how the battery is used. Please contact us for more information.
- The Kore Battery Management System (BMS) has a number of protection functions including over/under voltage, over current, over temperature, short circuit, and inrush current limits. The BMS has three levels of reporting including warnings, alarms and faults.
- The Kore battery modules have a number of safety attributes designed into the modules including certified flame-resistant materials, safety handles, insulated busbars, concealed front panel covers, integrated MBMS & OLED display and it meets the UN 38.3 test and criteria for transportation safety.
- UL 9540A test – The battery successfully completed the UL 9540A module and unit level testing.
The 2nd life battery industry purchases batteries and refurbishes them for alternative usage and/or recycling.
Below are companies that repurpose Lithium-Ion batteries.
2nd Life Batteries
The remainder of the enclosure and electrical can be recycled typical of other industrialized machinery.
Yes, an auto shutoff is included with all MG Series systems.
Yes, MG Series systems offer multiple fire suppression options for our BESS systems depending upon the need. The MG series can offer one or all of the following options based on the requirements and recommendations of the local AHJ and fire department.
Option 1: Gas monitoring system which can detect lithium-ion gas prior to a thermal runaway condition along with a gas exhaust BESS ventilation system.
Option 2: Novec 1230 gas fire suppression system design to extinguish electrical fires.
Option 3: Water suppression fire system with fire system controls, heat and smoke detectors and remote monitoring.
Option 4: Deflagration panels are available as required
Batteries = UL 1973, UL 9540 A (see Battery Safety Attributes above)
Inverter = UL 1741 SA
System = UL 9540
ELM Fieldsight provides 24/7 monitoring and control of both the system and its components. Power data and alerts are available live within the app and on the website. Reports are available for up to 7 years.
The following is a short list of information that would be monitored in a typical ESS installation.
▪ Battery state of charge, voltage and power
▪ Battery usage (charging, discharging, rate of charge and discharge)
▪ Solar/renewable production and usage (onsite usage and amount discharged to the main grid)
▪ Building load (amount of load by time)
▪ Generator usage (generator power by time)
▪ System mode (grid-connected, off-grid)
▪ Grid power used over time
▪ CO2 reductions
There are a variety of warranty options beginning with a 5-year warranty and extending to a 10-year warranty. Current Energy Storage will work with you to determine the best option for your customer.
The O&M costs vary based on the different sized systems. Annual O&M costs are minimal and include cleaning air filters in the HVAC systems and performing visual inspections. These tasks can be easily handled by a local site maintenance crew.
Year 5 O&M Service on MG 100, MG250, MG 500, and MG 1,000 includes replacement of cooling fluid as well as the pump for inverter, fan motor for inverter and replacement of smaller UPS batteries used for the controller. The total cost for the parts for this service is approximately $3000-$5,000 depending on size.
Current Energy Storage will work with you on recommending and ordering spare parts as needed.
The MG Series comes with a variety of alarm options including SMS, email and voice calls. Many issues can be fixed remotely and quickly. For issues that can’t be fixed remotely, Current Energy Storage works with the installer to troubleshoot and repair the issue.
Because the MG Series systems are pre-assembled, they can be installed in a day or two depending on the site and the integration with the building’s other systems.
Lead times are currently 16-20 weeks. We expect lead times to shorten as the world’s transportation and manufacturing gets back to normal operating conditions.